HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 am 

Can you fill us in on the procedure?

So you propose photo radar in council. Does it go to a vote? Who votes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 am 

Hi Richard&Liz,

The procedure is this:

First I have to convince the province to allow muninipalities like Milton to decide if they will allow photo radar.

Next I have to convince my colleagues on the Community Services Standing Committee to allow all the councillors including the Mayor to vote on a pilot project.

Warm Regards,
Tony Lambert
Local & Regional Councillor - South

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:16 am 

Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Richard&Liz,

The procedure is this:

First I have to convince the province to allow muninipalities like Milton to decide if they will allow photo radar.

Next I have to convince my colleagues on the Community Services Standing Committee to allow all the councillors including the Mayor to vote on a pilot project.

Warm Regards,
Tony Lambert

Thanks for the explanation Tony. Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:04 pm 

There have to be other ways of doing the same thing. Look at those, try a few out on a trial basis then get back to us on how well they've worked. Personally I find the electronic board that displays my speed as I drive by works- it makes me try and get as close to the speed limit without going over.

Basing public policy on a newspaper poll= questionable public policy in my opinion. It never turns out well. Milton will never bring in photo radar while there's even a ghost of a chance, there might be a tax increase the same year, it would make council look greedy. Also, the Provincial government wouldn't give up such a ready cash source to the municipalities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:28 pm 
As a resident of Ward 2 I will definitely be speaking with Colin Best regarding this and to voice my concern over this ridiculous idea.

Tony, I hope you visit my neighbourhood when conducting your door knocks. I can tell you that you will be meeting a lot of angry people. Not sure what Milton that you are talking too but people in my neck of the woods are not pleased with you and your priorities. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:31 pm 

Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Richard&Liz,

The procedure is this:

Warm Regards,
Tony Lambert

Tony

Given a Provincial election is going to happen in 10 months from now or 6 - 7 months from when you begin your petition, it is unlikely the Province will begin to consider your petition before 2012 and if it is not part of the winning party's election manifesto then at least another year or so before you will get a decision. Then 2014 you are in another campaign at Municipal level.

You might want to consider polling your fellow Councillors either informally or, preferably, formally before you start your petition. Visiting your 30,000 constituents is an enormous undertaking and I realise you are confident that you will get the majority of them behind you, shaping provincial policy is an even bigger undertaking even when armed with significant support by way of petition and then to fall down because you are only one vote at Council. It would be good to know going into it in the Spring that you would have Council behind you wouldn't it? Or am I missing something?

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 pm 

Tony Lambert wrote:

Wow, so interesting Tony. Shouldn't FIRST be to see if the residents of Milton even like this idea? Shows a bit about your priorities...

You stated thousands of people in your wards support this? I'm getting quite tired of reading these facts you are pulling out of the air. You want to poll your residents? Do so with impartial witnesses because I frankly do not trust you for one second. Don't like the idea? I will personally take it upon myself to build a group to poll your same wards if it comes to it. I'm quite passionate about this topic and have frankly had enough of your avoidance of a legitimate debate regarding the topic. You seem to ignore any legitimate requests to prove your facts and discuss things. You're a big young in your political career to be making vague statements and promises.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you here. I await some answers to the questions posted in this thread as well as the other one you are avoiding responding to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm 

Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Richard&Liz,

The procedure is this:

Warm Regards,
Tony Lambert

Hi Tony, I voted for you (Hawthorne Villagers plse don't stone me yet) but I may have overlooked that this issue was such a strong point in you campaign.
Would it make sense to exert your energy on some local issues where you could make a difference? I see this as a big waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 am 

Hi Richard,

Thanks for voting for me and making me the local & regional councillor for our area. During the campaign I and people I met, while speaking to them at their house witnessed many motorists dangerously speeding. A boy was hit by a speeding motorist last year. Another child this time a little girl was struck outside of a school in our area. That does not include the thousands of voters who said to me "Tony speeding is a huge problem and concern for me, ,can you try to do something about it?" So no, this is not a waste of energy. Our safety and that of our children is worth the time and energy I will devote to this fight. I have not even listed the other horrific and very disturbing traffic accidents I have heard of in Milton due to speeding. Therefore Richard this spring and summer I will ask Miltonians to show their support of trying mobile photo radar as a test pilot.

Having said that I will also tackle the other issues in my platform as I promised over the 4 years I am a councillor.

Thanks again Richard for your question.

Regards,
Tony Lambert
Local & Regional Councillor
Milton & Halton Region
www.yourtownyourway.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 am 

Hi Tony,

Respectfully I will not show support for photo radar. I do though appreciate your passion for safety. I hope that your passion is refocused to align with the residents you represent.

Last edited by JHAROUN on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:54 am 

Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Richard,

Thanks for voting for me and making me the local & regional councillor for our area. During the campaign I and people I met, while speaking to them at their house witnessed many motorists dangerously speeding. A boy was hit by a speeding motorist last year. Another child this time a little girl was struck outside of a school in our area. That does not include the thousands of voters who said to me "Tony speeding is a huge problem and concern for me, ,can you try to do something about it?" So no, this is not a waste of energy. Our safety and that of our children is worth the time and energy I will devote to this fight. I have not even listed the other horrific and very disturbing traffic accidents I have heard of in Milton due to speeding. Therefore Richard this spring and summer I will ask Miltonians to show their support of trying mobile photo radar as a test pilot.

Having said that I will also tackle the other issues in my platform as I promised over the 4 years I am a councillor.

Thanks again Richard for your question.

Regards,
Tony Lambert
Milton & Halton Region
www.yourtownyourway.ca

Tony,

I understand that you are not going to back down from this Photo Radar fight, I 100% disagree with it but hey, you're my elected official and you get to run the show. That's your decision.

I just hope that while you are working on this photo radar proposal, you are still working on all the other issues in our area. Photo Radar is not going to stop speeding, I can't imagine these machines are cheap so I don't expect to see one on every collector road. Due to this, people will just learn what section of road to slow down on.

Please tell me you are not wasting all your time on this one issue, there are a lot of other issues in our area that you need to spend a considerable amount of time on as well.

Regards,
Jon

Post subject: mobile photo radar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 am 

{quote}

Tony,

I understand that you are not going to back down from this Photo Radar fight, I 100% disagree with it but hey, you're my elected official and you get to run the show. That's your decision.

I just hope that while you are working on this photo radar proposal, you are still working on all the other issues in our area. Photo Radar is not going to stop speeding, I can't imagine these machines are cheap so I don't expect to see one on every collector road. Due to this, people will just learn what section of road to slow down on.

Please tell me you are not wasting all your time on this one issue, there are a lot of other issues in our area that you need to spend a considerable amount of time on as well. {end quote}.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your post and comment. As I responded to Richard, no it will not be the only issue I work on over the 4 years as local & regional councillor, but it definitely is one.

Second, the beauty of my proposal is that it will be a TEST PILOT of MOBILE PHOTO RADAR. The only people in Milton who will know which residential street it will be on will be Halton Regional Police Services. Motorists will know it is somewhere in town but never actually where.
This knowledge of, but not perfect knowledge of where they are will have a significant deterrent affect.

Best Regards,
Tony Lambert
Milton & Halton Region
www.yourtownyourway.ca

Last edited by Tony Lambert on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 am 

1 person cant make this happen. Make sure your local councillor is aware of your views if you're against this and have them speak up for you when the time comes. Hopefully everyone in council isnt all buddy buddy and dont just go along with each others proposals cause they dont want to be hated by each other.

Post subject: Re: mobile photo radar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 pm 

Tony Lambert wrote:
The only people in Milton who will know which residential street it will be on will be Halton Regional Police Services. Motorists will know it is somewhere in town but never actually where.

Thanks for the quick response Tony, but I'm afraid I disagree with you.

Give it 48 hours from the time you put it up, there will already be a thread on this forum and others listing the exact spots. Neighbors will talk and within 1 week, everyone in the area is going to know where they are.

Obviously someone in old Milton may not hear about the photo radar on Yates, however they won't drive on that road. If these are going on residential roads the people who will pass them are going to be residents of the area. They aren't going to be a surprise to anyone after the first couple times they pass it.

I just don't see these being effective in lowering speeds other than lowering them for a couple of blocks around where people WILL know the photo radar is set up.

Jon

Post subject: mobile photo radar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:29 pm 

Hi Jon,

Thanks but I disagree.

Best,
Tony Lambert
Milton & Halton Region

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next