Best,
Tony Lambert
Local & Regional Councillor
Milton & Halton Region

Please elaborate

Post subject: mobile photo radar
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question. I believe mobile photo radar in a van or unmarked police car is much harder to detect than stationery cameras. I also think that because Halton Regional Police Services would be able to move the cameras to another part of town, and another vehicle make it extremely difficult to guess which car parked on the side of the road has a mobile speeding camera in it. This will in my opinion have a significant deterrent effect especially when word of mouth spread of the cameras.

Regards,
Tony Lambert
Milton & Halton Region

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm 

Tony, can we do something about the break-ins first?

Post subject: break-ins
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 pm 

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your post! Public and private safety are very important to me whether or not I am a councillor. The Milton Community Policing Committee www.haltonpolicingcommittees.ca on which I represent the town of Milton, is working to combat this problem. This Spring/Summer there will be a lock-it campaign to educate residents on how to prevent or reduce the probability of break-ins. Unfortunately many residents do not lock their cars or doors to their home in Milton. It is educational efforts like this that I believe will make a difference in our town of protecting residents. At the same time I will pursue seeking residents' support of a test pilot of mobile photo radar.

Excellent question Richard, thanks!

Regards,
Tony Lambert
Milton & Halton Region
Tony Lambert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 pm 
Is it odd that know one on here is in agreement with photo radar?

Must be a quiet bunch if it's such a popular idea! Lol

Post subject: Re: mobile photo radar
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 pm 

Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question. I believe mobile photo radar in a van or unmarked police car is much harder to detect than stationery cameras. I also think that because Halton Regional Police Services would be able to move the cameras to another part of town, and another vehicle make it extremely difficult to guess which car parked on the side of the road has a mobile speeding camera in it. This will in my opinion have a significant deterrent effect especially when word of mouth spread of the cameras.

Hi Tony

Not only do I not agree with photo radar, I believe that what you are proposing is a colossal waste of HRPS resources. Moving equipment from vehicle to vehicle is expensive and time consumming. Those resources are better spent keeping patrol vehicles on the road than pandering to your pet projects. And in keeping with the current budget process and working to keep budget increases below the level of inflation, where would you find the funding? I for one do not want to fund this experiemnt if it means an increase to the tax rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:37 pm 
Here is what one councillor told me:

Quote:
The province would first have to approve the request...at least a few years to wait for that. Secondly he'd have to get approval from the region since they are the ones responsible for the policing services in our area and then finally Milton council.

I've already talked to a few councillors and they do not support Tony.

What is starting to bug me to no end is how Tony is treating people and their posts on here. His attitude is to ignore and pretend that it's going to happen anytime now. He talks of this 'mobile radar' as if it's been approved and we'll see it on the street soon. Read the above post Tony. Maybe try to respond to it not in the typical 'politician response'.

I'm near Savoline and Derry. If anyone else is going to physically poll their area on this topic in the future, let me know. I'd be happy to poll mine as well. I'd really like to see what all Miltonians think about this once and for all, if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 am 

I don't personally see any difference in effectiveness of a mobile photo radar unit vs. cops standing with radar and issuing tickets except you only need one cop manning the mobile unit. Not hard to see why the cops like this one. They'd get a higher volume of tickets so it's a great source of revenue for the police service and needs fewer physical person resources but is not an effective consistent deterent to speeding. The same fundamental issues apply with mobile photo radar as with stationary from a deterent perspective. Someone's going to get a ticket in the mail a week or so after the fact, not remember, and do it again. Getting a ticket on the spot is far more of a deterent on a short term basis but doesn't address the root problem which is the road design. Regional and municipal resouces are spread thin as it is as is very clear in the budget reports. Let's spend our resources wisely on effective traffic calming devices like speed humps, round-a-bouts, selected road narrowings and other engineered calming devices - both as retrofits on current roads and up front in designing new roads going into subdivisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 pm 

Sorry folks - couldn't resist throwing this one into the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xnWYx8 ... r_embedded

We should really go for this!

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:24 pm 

Martin Capper wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xnWYx8YK8&feature=player_embedded

We should really go for this!

LOL. We should! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm 

The are several issues with photo radar. It is not a traffic offense and thus doesn't carry the same implications. This allows the offenders to keep on without any impact to their driving privileges/insurance rates and or eligibility. Note: I used the word owners as the operator is not identified but merely the registered owner. What does this mean? It means that an owner will receive the fine irregardless of who the driver is. Fight it? The courts will not provide discovery, consider challenges and refuse to allow even the legal spouse of the registered owner to represent the owner in court despite their being a rule (4) if I recall specifically granting that right. It's an revenue collection device that tramples the right to due process among others.The speeding problem in Milton is due to large group of people with homogeneous characteristics which include a lack of respect for the safety and well being of others as seen by their almost total disregard for the rules of the road. Some of the streets such as Farmstead Drive encourage speeding as it is almost 1.5K long mostly straight without a single device to slow or stop traffic. Comparing to Scott Blvd. it would seem that there may have been undue influence to allow an inexpensive road to be put in especially given it's proximity to Bronte that has enforcement and stop lights. The town of Milton wastes your tax dollars by operating traffic data collections but according to them they don't: Have the software to interpret the data, monitor the collections and set the display speed so low as to discharge the battery(s) before the collection period combined with a failure to even do a drive by to see if the devices are working and thus wind up with incomplete data. Enforcement, what enforcement? The Town says that they have no control or influence in police enforcement activities despite taxpayers paying for such. As you might guess the wealthier and more influential Oakville would seem to get the most attention. Recently the HRPS (Halton Region Police Services) posted a Facebook post asking what parks in Oakville might be candidates for more attention by the CMU (Community Mobilization Unit) as per their "initiative" It was met with several comments questioning the need for such and their seemingly ignorance of the traffic safety issues in Milton especially at the schools in the new developments. The last thing needed is more abuse of the citizens by it's government.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:09 am 

TONY LAMBERT'S LEGACY!

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... -says.html