HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ward 6 UPDATES
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am 

Thanks to a suggestion by Kiddan, here is the spot for your ward 6 updates, whats going on...questions to ask me on local issues, etc.

If you want something right away, my email is mike@mikecluett.ca and my Blackberry is always by my side so .. feel free to call 647-888-9032 or email anytime.

Just a quick update as to some of the things going on in Ward 6 (from another post in the forum)

Despite what seems like a lack of activity in our ward there are still lots of things on the go.

Ferguson Road and other surrounding roads are being worked on so sometimes there are delays due to construction but mainly the work gets done pretty quickly.

On Bennett Blvd by the Hawthorne Village School there were mobile radars installed to track the speed of vehicles in front of the school. They were taken down on the 28th of October and Ive asked staff to send me the results when they are complied.

Since taking office Ive received a few emails/calls from concerned residents on Bennett because of speeding through the school zone and tests like this can prove/disprove if there is a problem or not. Also using these results, we can look at possible traffic calming measures and if they would work or not.

We've recently had our McDuffe Park clean up last month as well, which went great.

http://mikecluett.ca/2011/09/mcduffe-pa ... -at-11-am/

There were a number of people from our ward who braved a cold Sunday morning to pick up some trash to help keep McDuffe Park clean. Thanks to everyone who came out. That was the second cleanup we had in the park as this past spring on Milton Makeover day, freemantrailfaimily, fred d and others braved yet another chilly day to do some much needed cleanup.

If there is anyone else who would like to help out in some park cleanups in Ward 6, I'd be more than happy to help out, promote it and grab Anthony as well to clean up

We are still waiting to hear from other levels of government (education/province) about the new school at Derry / 4th line and a number of residents in that immediate area have been checking in with me to see what the progress is...and as of right now, its a holding pattern (as usual)

On 4th Line just north of Menefly Place there are some trees being removed / new ones being planted by the owner of the development which I can send updates on.

As for the new high school being built on 4th Line and LSL both of our trustees have said all is on schedule for opening in Sept 2012. I still have some concerns about that intersection (width, number of vehicles etc) that I have brought up to staff/will bring up to staff in the coming weeks to get updates on.

Along Marshall Cres there is a parking survey being sent around to home owners about allowing/disallowing parking on one side of the road that I will be going around to make sure they have completed it. The more input the town gets, the better the result will be.

Finally on Meighan there is a petition being circulated to see what kind of traffic calming measures can be used there to curtail aggressive/speeding drivers along that street.

Not bad for a sleepy little ward eh?

Check out my website for up to the date items of whats going on in ward 6 and around the town of Milton.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Last edited by Mike_Cluett on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:51 am 

Thanks Mike! The posters can chastise me as much as they want but I probably represent 99% of the constituents in the sense that most of us are busy in our own lives but from time to time would like some updates on the things that you as a Councillor for Ward 6 are pushing for and how you are trying to improve our Ward 6.

Post subject: Some more updates
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:23 pm 

Just a quick update as to a few things I brought up in the last post.

Regarding the speed review on Bennett: Town staff has sent me the results of the assessment and they found:

The results of the Driver Feedback Boards that were placed on Bennett Boulevard between October 19 – October 28, 2011 are as follows:

Northbound:

85th Percentile Speed - 47 km/h
Average Speed – 42 km/h

Southbound:

85th Percentile Speed - 48 km/h
Average Speed – 43 km/h

As you can see by the results, the avg speeds are slightly above the limit right in front of the school by both northbound traffic and southbound.

These results are averages over the full time period and do not necessarily reflect the speeds during the daytime/school.

Regarding the petition for Meighan Way for a traffic calming review: The Town has received the petition and traffic studies will commence in the next couple of weeks for that area to see what can be done and what receommendations will be made.

Regarding the Marshall Way Parking Survey: The deadline for residents to send back the questionairre was Oct 21st and from the information the town received, the residents in the area do not support a parking ban along the southeast curve of the roadway.

Regarding the tree removal/road closure at 4th Line and Derry Rd: Staff should be getting back to me soon as to the time frame for complettion.

I have also had a few calls from residents in the area about the Louis St Laurent and 4th Line intersection with road works continuing and the western side of the intersection being very narrow causing some traffic issues ... especially when the Milton Transit bus comes along and both Colin and I are working getting direction from Region and Town Staff.

Thats it for now...I'll keep you posted.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:16 pm 

Thanks Mike for the updates! :D

Post subject: Re: Ward 6 UPDATES
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 am 

Heres a quick update from a recent traffic study on 4th Line north of Louis St Laurent. Between April 24th and May 4th, driver feedback boards were installed in the area to do speed study because of concerns from residents living across from the child care location.

Here are the results:

The results have indicated the following within a posted 50 km/h speed zone:

Direction Northbound
85th Percentile Speed: 54 km/hr
Average Speed 47 km/hr

Direction Southbound
85th Percentile Speed: 54 km/h
Average Speed: 46 km/h

According to the report these speeds are acceptable within the 50km/hr speed limit in the area. Some have suggested that seeing how there is the library and a child care institution in the area, and the proximity of a high school soon to be opened in the area that the speed limit be reduced to 40km/hr.

Ive asked staff to look into that as well and will report back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm 

Hello,

Any consideration for a four way stop or a pedestrian cross-walk at Ferguson and Hearst? There are a ton of families making the trek to Hawthorne Village PS and crossing that intersection is very difficult for kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:01 am 

Hi daler

I can check with the engineering department to see if a traffic count has been done at this intersection recently to see what the counts are. If not, I'll have them do one to see if the traffic warrants an all way stop there.

I know this area well as my son when he bikes or skateboards to school, he passes through this area.

I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm 

There is a 4 way stop at Ferguson and Clarke appx 200 meters away. I doubt the town will but another 4 way stop so close.
Maybe they will make it an unmaned school crossing zone instead?

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 am 

Anything that helps get across Ferguson and Hearst will be a big help. Some mornings, we were waiting 5 minutes to cross at that intersection, a lot of times because people who are turning on the street above and below Hearst don't use their signals, and you cannot cross with little kids until it is all clear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 am 

Sorry about the delay...summer time schedules are FUN eh?

Here's what I got back regarding traffic counts at Ferguson & Hearst.

The intersection of Ferguson Drive and Hearst Boulevard has been counted three times in the past. The results of each count are as follows:

Count Date: November 2011
Part A - 71%
Part B - 68%

Ferguson Drive & Hearst Boulevard
December 2008
Part A - 88%
Part B - 49%

Ferguson Drive & Hearst Boulevard
April 2006
Part A - 100%
Part B - 44%

In order for an all-way stop to be implemented both Parts “A” and “B” must equal 100%. As shown in the results above the warrants are getting closer to being fulfilled.

There will also be an updated turning movement count at the intersection of Ferguson Drive and Hearst Boulevard in mid- September 2012 to determine if warrants for an all-way stop are fulfilled.

In addition to these future studies, I have also asked them to look into a pedestrian count this intersection and at LSL and Ferguson seeing how the new school will be open then to possibly look at signaled cross walk for students.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:42 am 

Hello Mike,

Any update on the Ferguson/Hearst intersection?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 pm 

Sorry about not updating this post with the most recent info. I cant find the one I did recently but another traffic and pedestrian count was done and it was again found that there isnt enough traffic or pedestrians to warrant an all way stop or cross walk. I will also be keeping an eye on this intersection and getting feedback from local residents and continue to pester staff :) If you like, send me your email to mike@mikecluett.ca and I can send you an email when this comes up again.

Thanks.