HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm 

Laura & Manuel wrote:
Does anyone know of any brand that has the same (as close as possible) colour as Vintage White Oak Gotham? I've found some places that sell Vintage but they are all in the $7+ sq/ft. Would be great if we can find something between $5-6 range.

Any ideas?

Are you looking for smooth or hand scraped oak in the Gotham colour?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am 

Few questions -

If I plan to get hardwood laid on the second floor hallway at a later date should I get bullnosing done by the builder ahead of time?

Is it expensive to upgrade with a builder for solid wood staircase with white risers and white painted pickets?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 am 

stilldeciding wrote:
Few questions -

If I plan to get hardwood laid on the second floor hallway at a later date should I get bullnosing done by the builder ahead of time?

Is it expensive to upgrade with a builder for solid wood staircase with white risers and white painted pickets?

Yes, if the builder can do 3/4" nosings now then it's better. I do recommended to get the hardwood stairs from the builder but not sure what to tell you about the cost as it will vary from one builder to another. It sure is easier to have it done through the builder unless they agree to leave the stairs totally unfinished and you do it after closing (if it will save you some $). But sometimes doing that after closing might not be any cheaper if you have to hire someone unless you do the work yourself :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm 

patrob wrote:
stilldeciding wrote:
Few questions -

Yes, if the builder can do 3/4" nosings now then it's better. I do recommended to get the hardwood stairs from the builder but not sure what to tell you about the cost as it will vary from one builder to another. It sure is easier to have it done through the builder unless they agree to leave the stairs totally unfinished and you do it after closing (if it will save you some $). But sometimes doing that after closing might not be any cheaper if you have to hire someone unless you do the work yourself :)

If I have a builder do a maple or oak staircase do you think they charge alot more to add white risers and spindles? Also would the risers they are painting white the same wood as the steps or different grade, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm 

stilldeciding wrote:
If I have a builder do a maple or oak staircase do you think they charge alot more to add white risers and spindles? Also would the risers they are painting white the same wood as the steps or different grade, thanks.

Regardless of if you pick oak or maple stairs, Mattamy uses maple treads and risers if you elect to go with white pickets, treads and risers as they take paint easier as there is less grain. We have oak stairs with white pickets, risers and treads. After the stair and stain upgrade to paint them white costs an addition $1369.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 pm 

Dan Drmanic wrote:
stilldeciding wrote:

Regardless of if you pick oak or maple stairs, Mattamy uses maple treads and risers if you elect to go with white pickets, treads and risers as they take paint easier as there is less grain. We have oak stairs with white pickets, risers and treads. After the stair and stain upgrade to paint them white costs an addition $1369.

Thanks Dan for the info, we aren't looking at Mattamy as we are looking to move much further out from the GTA but I'm sure other builders are the same. Do you have a pic of your stairs you'd care to share? We own an older home presently with white oak staircase with white risers. Love the look, don't think I could go back to just a plain solid wood staircase.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm 

stilldeciding wrote:

Regarding the price you have to contact the builder but at least Dan gave you a good idea on what Mattamy charges. Every builder will be different. Usually for two tone staircase, the risers or painted surfaces will be maple or white wood (poplar).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 am 

My builder has included 3.25 x 3/4 Oak hardwood floors and stairs but we wanted dark floors and stairs and I`m guessing going through the builder will cost an arm and a leg to upgrade.
Can they be sanded and stained dark after moving in ?
Any cons to going this route ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 pm 

M4rtin wrote:
My builder has included 3.25 x 3/4 Oak hardwood floors and stairs but we wanted dark floors and stairs and I`m guessing going through the builder will cost an arm and a leg to upgrade.
Can they be sanded and stained dark after moving in ?
Any cons to going this route ?

It's not a good idea to sand your brand new floors! Plus finish quality is not the same as factory finish, no warranty, takes almost a week to have floors completed. I recommend you upgrade the stain through the builder. You should have added stained floors/stairs in the purchase agreement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm 

rpauls wrote:
does anyone have patrob's # to call for service?

It's best to just PM me :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 am 

Hi Patrob
What do think about canadian satin finish oak hardwood.

Thanks..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm 

Shalom wrote:
Hi Patrob
What do think about canadian satin finish oak hardwood.

Thanks..

Are you referring to actual Satin Finish manufacturer or satin finish as a varnish?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm 

I have maple stairs that are going to be installed and stained by the builder. I am looking to install hardwood after we close. Any thoughts whether I can go with oak, as opposed to going with maple?

As well, the stain I pick is a very dark colour. I have had a hard time looking for a match on the stairs. So, I may eventually end up picking a hardwood that will be lighter or slightly lighter. Any thoughts on how this would look like?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm 

rich6429 wrote:
I have maple stairs that are going to be installed and stained by the builder. I am looking to install hardwood after we close. Any thoughts whether I can go with oak, as opposed to going with maple?

As well, the stain I pick is a very dark colour. I have had a hard time looking for a match on the stairs. So, I may eventually end up picking a hardwood that will be lighter or slightly lighter. Any thoughts on how this would look like?

Thanks.

Stick with maple floors or similar. Otherwise go with oak stairs and get oak floors. What's the stain colour name? You should not have an issue to match the floors to the stairs. As long as the colour is a close match, doesn't have to be 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 pm 

sadhanapatel wrote:
Hi Patrob,

I am doing hardwood in my home. I like Mercier Red Oak Stone stain. But After reading review of mercier flooring. I would like to go with mirage flooring. Which is closest match to red oak stone stain in mirage floor. Maple flooring from mirage would be fine if close match. Do you have any picture for that.

Thanks for your help

Hi:

Not very familiar with Mercier Stone colour so can't tell you exact match from Mirage. Mirage has recently added some new colours. Best way might be to take small sample of Mercier and see what colour is close by putting it side by side against new sample.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next