HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:32 am 

We live in an older home with hardwood throughout most of the home. We have an oak staircase I love but recently 2 - 3 stairs began making loud creaking noises upon stepping on them. We plan on selling in the next year so need a fix that is not too costly. Do you know what we could have done to fix this, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:03 am 

stilldeciding wrote:
We live in an older home with hardwood throughout most of the home. We have an oak staircase I love but recently 2 - 3 stairs began making loud creaking noises upon stepping on them. We plan on selling in the next year so need a fix that is not too costly. Do you know what we could have done to fix this, thanks.

Try to find out where the creaking is coming from, back or front of the step? You can try to squeeze some carpenters glue on the sides and back of the tread. If it's in the front, it's probably separated from riser, lot harder to apply any glue. You can always drill and screw tread to the riser, plug it, sand it and finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:45 am 

patrob wrote:
stilldeciding wrote:

Try to find out where the creaking is coming from, back or front of the step? You can try to squeeze some carpenters glue on the sides and back of the tread. If it's in the front, it's probably separated from riser, lot harder to apply any glue. You can always drill and screw tread to the riser, plug it, sand it and finish it.

Thanks will report back to hubby to get to it. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 am 

patrob wrote:
KJT wrote:
I need help deciding hardwood. I have already bought some red oak hardwood from HD but I am second guessing my choice. I am leaning towards a hickory and maple. What are your thoughts? I know they both have different characteristics.
Thanks

If your stairs are oak, then oak or hickory would match the wood grain best. Maple has a smooth finish so will show damages faster if you have kids/pets. Which colour matches your stairs best? Are you installing the floors yourself? What's your budget for the wood and what colour are you trying to match to?

Sorry I don't know the colour but it has that orange tinge to it and the hickory floors I like are brown. I think im going hickory now. They match our maple kitchen cabinets better. I will be laying the floors myself and this will be my first ever. Do I use wax paper or that expensive stuff? I also heard hickory is unstable but from what I've read it's comparable to oak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 pm 

KJT wrote:
Sorry I don't know the colour but it has that orange tinge to it and the hickory floors I like are brown. I think im going hickory now. They match our maple kitchen cabinets better. I will be laying the floors myself and this will be my first ever. Do I use wax paper or that expensive stuff? I also heard hickory is unstable but from what I've read it's comparable to oak

Floors don't have to match your kitchen cabinets. It's the stairs they should match as close as possible especially if the floors touch the stairs. Wax paper is just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm 

Thanks I bought the hickory plymouth brown and it doesn't match our stairs. It's not touching but I just didn't like my other choice. We plan on changing our stairs to hardwood, so we'll try to match it. But this job I won't be doing myself.

Props patrob, seen your thread in red flags, you are a very informative person. Thumbs up!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:29 pm 

KJT wrote:
Thanks I bought the hickory plymouth brown and it doesn't match our stairs. It's not touching but I just didn't like my other choice. We plan on changing our stairs to hardwood, so we'll try to match it. But this job I won't be doing myself.

Props patrob, seen your thread in red flags, you are a very informative person. Thumbs up!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:59 am 

Question? How do you transition the quarter rounds from hard wood to ceramic along the same wall? I should be able to adjust height for the baseboards but I don't think I can even out the quarter rounds. I may have answered my own question but do I just follow the angle if the transition piece?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm 

KJT wrote:
Question? How do you transition the quarter rounds from hard wood to ceramic along the same wall? I should be able to adjust height for the baseboards but I don't think I can even out the quarter rounds. I may have answered my own question but do I just follow the angle if the transition piece?

It's hard to do it to make it look seamless. Usually you just finish straight piece to piece & fill in the bottom. You will always see the height difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 pm 

Do you know anything about a company called Somerset?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:02 pm 

stilldeciding wrote:
Do you know anything about a company called Somerset?

Unfortunately don't have any info on this product.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm 

Hi,
I understand that it is better to install solid HW perpendicular to the floor joists but does this matter if you are using Engineered HW?
Going to be installing 5" engineered planks and our joists are 12" apart.
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:35 pm 

Tubby wrote:
Hi,
I understand that it is better to install solid HW perpendicular to the floor joists but does this matter if you are using Engineered HW?
Going to be installing 5" engineered planks and our joists are 12" apart.
Thanks in advance!

If it's 5/8" plywood or 3/4" OSB with 12" O.C. I would not be afraid to go with joist especially with engineered.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 pm 

We are installing 5" engineered click & lock floating. I understand that this doesn't need to be nailed or glued. But this room connects to another room that has tile. For that transition edge, should the planks be glued down to ensure it stay flush to the edge of the tile? If so, should the planks be glued to the foam layer and the foam layer glued to the subfloor?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 pm 

Tubby wrote:
We are installing 5" engineered click & lock floating. I understand that this doesn't need to be nailed or glued. But this room connects to another room that has tile. For that transition edge, should the planks be glued down to ensure it stay flush to the edge of the tile? If so, should the planks be glued to the foam layer and the foam layer glued to the subfloor?
Thanks

All floating floors should be connected to other flooring with a transition piece recommended by the manufacturer like a t-mold. Just because floating floor moves. If you do want to glue down the first edge, cut out the underlay and glue it straigth to subfloor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next