HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:35 pm 

Hi There!

Did any Lancaster owners choose the chef's kitchen option? We are unsure whether or not to take this option because we will lose the window (although it is facing the neighbours, it is still a way of getting natural light). Another consideration is the built in appliance option is only available with the chef's kitchen. We'd also like to know for those who took the grande package, where do they place the built in oven/microwave cutout?

Sorry for all the questions but we are trying to consider all options and would love to get others opinions. Also if you can provide costs that would be greatly appreciated :D

Thank You!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm 

Hi, DoubleM. My husband and I chose the Chef's Kitchen/Grande Package combination. As you noted, you do lose the kitchen window, however, in terms of natural light, we were pleasantly surprised by how large the patio sliders were which let in a lot of natural light on their own. The window which faces your neighbours brick wall, didn't seem to make much of an impact.

The additional counter space sold us on the Chef's Kitchen and the built in appliances/cooktop sold us on the Grande Package. In addition to the wall oven and microwave (we did convection microwave so that we could use it as another mini oven), we added a warming tray and a pantry for additional cabinet space. One thing to keep in mind is that if you select Grande, Mattamy will need to know the measurements of the microwave, oven and cooktop in advance. That means you are purchasing your appliances 6 months prior to closing which is an added cost to consider (must provide the measurements at your Design Centre appointment).

In terms of cost, upgrading tot he Chef's Kitchen was $1,149.00. As for the Sous, Executive, Master vs. Grande costing, there is no set cost increase, you pay extra when you select your cabinets based on the kitchen you've chosen. If you want to know something specific, just let me know and I can share the costs with you.

Here are a few photos of the Grande package layout as well as the interior of a Lancaster w/ the window in question.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

AB

Attachments:
IMG_8331-2.jpg
IMG_8331-2.jpg [ 124.45 KiB | Viewed 2031 times ]
IMG_0335-2.jpg
IMG_0335-2.jpg [ 92.95 KiB | Viewed 2031 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 am 

I love the Lancaster model good choice. I would definitely opt for the chef's kitchen personally not only for the option to upgrade to the grande package but i prefer a sink in the island for food preparation.

Connaught Terrace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm 

Ashley B wrote:
Hi, DoubleM. My husband and I chose the Chef's Kitchen/Grande Package combination. As you noted, you do lose the kitchen window, however, in terms of natural light, we were pleasantly surprised by how large the patio sliders were which let in a lot of natural light on their own. The window which faces your neighbours brick wall, didn't seem to make much of an impact.

The additional counter space sold us on the Chef's Kitchen and the built in appliances/cooktop sold us on the Grande Package. In addition to the wall oven and microwave (we did convection microwave so that we could use it as another mini oven), we added a warming tray and a pantry for additional cabinet space. One thing to keep in mind is that if you select Grande, Mattamy will need to know the measurements of the microwave, oven and cooktop in advance. That means you are purchasing your appliances 6 months prior to closing which is an added cost to consider (must provide the measurements at your Design Centre appointment).

In terms of cost, upgrading tot he Chef's Kitchen was $1,149.00. As for the Sous, Executive, Master vs. Grande costing, there is no set cost increase, you pay extra when you select your cabinets based on the kitchen you've chosen. If you want to know something specific, just let me know and I can share the costs with you.

Here are a few photos of the Grande package layout as well as the interior of a Lancaster w/ the window in question.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

AB

Hey Ashley,
I would love to see a picture of the kitchen once you move in. I was thinking of adding a pantry if the option was available, and I see that it is. I personally was thinking built in appliances with a steam oven in lieu of a microwave.

Rox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:11 pm 

rox272 wrote:
Ashley B wrote:

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

AB

Hey Ashley,
I would love to see a picture of the kitchen once you move in. I was thinking of adding a pantry if the option was available, and I see that it is. I personally was thinking built in appliances with a steam oven in lieu of a microwave.

Rox

Of course! I'd be happy to share photos. There were a number of kitchen upgrades which weren't listed in the design guide, but if you asked, you could get e.g. pantry, toe kick, decorative canopy, bump out etc. We spent a lot of time in the model homes for inspiration.

What's the difference between a steam oven and convection microwave?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:46 am 

Rox[/quote]

Of course! I'd be happy to share photos. There were a number of kitchen upgrades which weren't listed in the design guide, but if you asked, you could get e.g. pantry, toe kick, decorative canopy, bump out etc. We spent a lot of time in the model homes for inspiration.

What's the difference between a steam oven and convection microwave?[/quote]

Hey Ashley,

Basically the steam oven is just a small oven, which has containers you fill with water to steam your food. It is about the size of a microwave. I find I don't use my microwave very much and therefore would prefer a steam oven. Reheating will take longer in the steam oven vs. the microwave, I'm not sure how much reheating you do, and how quickly you were looking to do it.

Shopping for appliances can get very overwhelming. I know there are also speed ovens out there. Those are more in line with microwaves, as when you cook your food, a portion is cook the conventional way and a portion is microwaved, essentially cutting your cooking time. I was at a demo for the Miele steam oven and just loved all the features. That one you can program in different food items and it will advise you when to put your food in, for them to all be ready at the same time, and cleaning was very easy. I'm not sure if you purchased all your appliances yet, but look around, as I know that a few places hold cooking demos to show off the different options for appliances. I think GE has it, as well as the higher end appliances like Miele and Wolf.
You can look online and get a lot more information for everything, explained much better then I just did.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much. :-)

Rox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:48 pm 

Some pics:

http://www.hometolove.com/Listing/ViewL ... =156798803