HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:57 pm 

My fiancee and I just recently selected the Sherkston Model for the new phase opening up. Any thoughts or ideas you like about the house or advice you can give us before we select the options at the design center in a few months?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 pm 

Hi rich,

There is an existing thread"Sherkston anyone". You can find more of us Sherkston owners there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:06 pm 

We bought the sherkston too. We spent some extra money in upgrading to a chefs kitchen. I think this model has the best lay out out of all he models.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 am 

Sherkston was our first choice, but we opted for a Waterford (more Sq. footage and slightly spacious bedrooms) in the end. However, I agree with Ruthcosta. Sherkston has the best layout of all the models on the 30' lot. I would have preferred the Waterford size with a Sherkston Layout.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:37 pm 

The Sherkston was our top choice as well! But last minute we decided to go with the Trenton..

We currently have the Kingsbridge model (townhouse) and love the open concept layout. We were looking for a detached house with a similar layout (but of course bigger) and the Trenton was the closest we could find.

We like how both our current kitchen and the alternative chef's kitchen in the Trenton have an island facing the family room. With bar stools, this offers additional seating, and when i have company over, i like to be included if i'm cooking, getting drinks, etc. We would have loved an eat in kitchen like the sherkston, but decided to sacrifice that for the above mentioned.

I love how the Sherkston offers lots of cupboard/counter space alternative layout or not (more than the trenton) and you also get an eat in kitchen! That's why we almost went with this model, but ultimately, we decided we prefered the slightly more open concept layout over the eat in kitchen (might regret that later though!)

We also like how the Sherkston has the powder room in the front of the house. We have this in our current house. It's still on the same level, but far enough from the family room to be private..And of course, if you have lots of company over, you won't be interrupted by a toilet flushing all night long!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:34 am 

Your thoughts were mine as well when we decided to go with the sherkston. Although we lose a bit of sq footage, the eat in kitchen was a huge factor for me as I have three small kids. I also liked the window that looks out into the backyard from over the sink in the kitchen (chefs kitchen) so I can watch the kids while I'm washing dishes/cooking. I love that I get the pantry as well. Again, lots of kids means lots of food lol. The two linen closets upstairs were a huge bonus as I have lots of sheets/towels etc. Did I mention I have a lot of kids?? Lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:27 am 

lalexa wrote:
The Sherkston was our top choice as well! But last minute we decided to go with the Trenton..

We currently have the Kingsbridge model (townhouse) and love the open concept layout. We were looking for a detached house with a similar layout (but of course bigger) and the Trenton was the closest we could find.

We like how both our current kitchen and the alternative chef's kitchen in the Trenton have an island facing the family room. With bar stools, this offers additional seating, and when i have company over, i like to be included if i'm cooking, getting drinks, etc. We would have loved an eat in kitchen like the sherkston, but decided to sacrifice that for the above mentioned.

I love how the Sherkston offers lots of cupboard/counter space alternative layout or not (more than the trenton) and you also get an eat in kitchen! That's why we almost went with this model, but ultimately, we decided we prefered the slightly more open concept layout over the eat in kitchen (might regret that later though!)

We also like how the Sherkston has the powder room in the front of the house. We have this in our current house. It's still on the same level, but far enough from the family room to be private..And of course, if you have lots of company over, you won't be interrupted by a toilet flushing all night long!

Same with us, originally our choice was Sherkston model, I like that it has garage door and closet in foyer (so you don't have to go through the whole house in shoes), also I like chef's kitchen layout with eat-in kitchen. But after we made a purchase (April, 2015) we went to construction site (I believe it's phase 17) and checked some of the almost finished houses of Sherkston model and I realized that great room in real is not that wide as I thought in my head and dinning room since it's not an open concept and has three walls around looks smaller. So we decided to change to Trenton model which I like too but no eat in kitchen :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:13 pm 

SabinaZ wrote:
Same with us, originally our choice was Sherkston model, I like that it has garage door and closet in foyer (so you don't have to go through the whole house in shoes), also I like chef's kitchen layout with eat-in kitchen. But after we made a purchase (April, 2015) we went to construction site (I believe it's phase 17) and checked some of the almost finished houses of Sherkston model and I realized that great room in real is not that wide as I thought in my head and dinning room since it's not an open concept and has three walls around looks smaller. So we decided to change to Trenton model which I like too but no eat in kitchen :(

Mattamy let you change your model after you had already signed for it? That's awesome. I'm glad you got what you wanted!

We have no kids yet (probably in a few years), but we figured we would want an eat-in-kitchen for the future.. The standard kitchen layout in the Trenton has an eat in kitchen, but the kitchen is so small! And it doesn't offer any more cupboard space that we have now. So when I compared the two, I figured with kids, we will probably value cupboard/counter space over the eat in kitchen.. Good that the Sherkston has both the storage space and the eat-in-kitchen. It's so hard to find one house that has EXACTLY everything you want!

Firm Closing Date: September 14, 2017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 pm 

lalexa wrote:
Mattamy let you change your model after you had already signed for it? That's awesome. I'm glad you got what you wanted!

Yes, they give a few days after purchase to change your decision about the model.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:30 pm 

When we bought in March this year, we were deciding between the Sherkston and the Renfrew. They were both identical in price but we went with the Renfrew because of the upstairs loft and the open concept layout. The Sherkston layout downstairs was too divided and we wanted a large open floor instead of separate dining rooms etc. We also enjoy the Renfrews sightlines.

Depends on what you want. Only two of us living in the house so we wanted the large open spaces, but if you have a bunch of kids and need the extra bedroom then Sherkston might be for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:19 am 

i have a sherkston in phase 17. alternate ground floor layout. been there for a year now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:27 pm 

Would anyone have pictures of the alternate ground floor plan vs chefs kitchen layout for the Sherkston? We are torn between the two!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:04 pm 

Gamble7 wrote:
Would anyone have pictures of the alternate ground floor plan vs chefs kitchen layout for the Sherkston? We are torn between the two!!

Yes we are also looking into getting the chefs kitchen as well! Would it be worth it? How about Hardwood for the kitchen? Anyone with some insight?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 pm 

Kitchen and breakfast area are big part of a main level (I would say more than 1/3), that's what we noticed on our framewalk. So we are so so happy that we chose hardwood floor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm 

Hello,

No delay notice! So I should have my May 2016 closing date firm!