HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tipping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 pm 

We normally tip generously when we go out to eat at a restaurant, be it lunch or dinner, because the wait staff in most cases work hard to ensure we have a pleasant experience with good food and good service. But what do you do when it is a smallish establishment where the owners are also the chefs and servers? Do you tip them as well? And if so, the same as if they were regular wait staff?

Post subject: Re: Tipping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:10 pm 

Yes tip the same.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:11 pm 

Ya, I would also tip the same.

Does anyone tip their dry cleaner when picking up?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:28 pm 

Depends on the cheque amount, if the bill is $20 what the difference if you tip 10 % or 15%. Better off tip the 15.
If its a higher end location the bill is $150 then I'm sure the 10% is more than expected.
Its a completely different mind set when the servers are owners, the expectation is not the same. The 10% is more than expected.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:16 am 

I tip minimum 15% and up to 25%. This is based on the amount of the bill before tax is added. Around Christmas I look for opportunities to help people and if the service is particularly good then I tip much higher.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:47 am 

korinthos wrote:
Depends on the cheque amount, if the bill is $20 what the difference if you tip 10 % or 15%. Better off tip the 15.
If its a higher end location the bill is $150 then I'm sure the 10% is more than expected.
Its a completely different mind set when the servers are owners, the expectation is not the same. The 10% is more than expected.

Curious as to where you found this info (more than expected etc...). Sounds more like an opinion. 10% is lame unless service is bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:49 am 

DRiFT_645 wrote:

Curious as to where you found this info (more than expected etc...). Sounds more like an opinion. 10% is lame unless service is bad.

I agree. A 10% tip is actually a message being sent to the server. That message is - Your service was very bad.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:16 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
DRiFT_645 wrote:

I agree. A 10% tip is actually a message being sent to the server. That massage is - Your service was very bad.

You're not supposed to massage the servers under any circumstance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 am 

Hodor wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
DRiFT_645 wrote:

I agree. A 10% tip is actually a message being sent to the server. That massage is - Your service was very bad.

You're not supposed to massage the servers under any circumstance.

Oh whoopie. You got me there. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:00 pm 

korinthos wrote:

I have been in the restaurant business for over 35 yrs and my family has owned and partnered in 20 location both her and in Greece.
If the owners are doing the tables they don't expect 15%, they are appreciate that you came to their location and were a customer. That's what I meant to express.
"""" THIS IS LAME,,, TIPPING ON THE AMOUNT BEFORE TAX """",,, DID YOU KNOW THE SERVERS TIP OUT TO THE BARTENDERS, FRONT OF HOUSE AND BACK HOUSE BASED UPON THE TOTAL BILL"""" INCLUDING THEN TAX""""
*********PLEASE DONT TIP SERVERS BASED ON THE PRE TAX AMOUNT, TIP ON THE TOTAL INCLUDING TAX*****

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:22 pm 

Can I just say, Tipping is not easy in Canada. I mean most meals cost a real chunk of change now. And yes, I understand supply chain and the basic concepts of what it takes to run a restaurant. Sure if we were in the states and debating $35 meal for two this would be a different conversation, but we are not in the US. We are talking at minimum now $50-60 plus tax for two people for a decent chain place. And now I'm expected to tip %15 after tax?

Staff can not be expecting larger tip pool if meals continue to raise beyond a reasonable rate.

Blame a high minimum wage before you blame me for tipping at %10.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:40 pm 

Tipping is so dumb. Just make the price, the price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:16 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Problem with this, the CRA would love it. The owner would need new or upgraded software to separate the tip from the food for accounting reasons. This would leave a record of how much was paid out to employees which CRA would pick-up and charge income tax on. Some things should be left alone.

Not sure how it's handled when the tip is on the credit card?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 am 

Greenjp wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Problem with this, the CRA would love it. The owner would need new or upgraded software to separate the tip from the food for accounting reasons. This would leave a record of how much was paid out to employees which CRA would pick-up and charge income tax on. Some things should be left alone.

Not sure how it's handled when the tip is on the credit card?

You mean, people would pay tax on their income which is what is supposed to already happen img he first place? What's the problem again?

There's a restaurant in New York that got rid of tipping I was reading about once. It was a resounding success for both employees and patrons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 am 

Love this guy...

Why Tipping Should Be Banned - Adam Ruins Everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k