HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lightning Fried Router?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm 

After the storm today, my Netgear router, Tivo Box and one TV no longer work. Anyone else have that happen? We have a whole home surge protector, and I've never had a problem with power surges before. Cogeco is coming to replace the Tivo, but I'm out a router and TV...

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm 

HH, I've had something similar... the problem is a lot of the power surge protectors say in the documentation they will only protect from one surge, and that blows out the protection, but you don't actually know that... after losing some equipment that way at work I started buying ONLY ones that when they blow, no longer conduct electricity at all, so you know it's blown and time to replace it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am 

It happened to my house 4-5 years ago or so.

2 tvs, 1 computer (desktop), and one mobile phone fried and after that happened I noticed my electrical box was buzzing a lot. Called home insurance company and paid deductible ($300),and all got replaced plus they sent in an electrician and fixed some fuse box issue and replaced all the fuses. It sucked but I didn't want my house burning down over a possible short or something. My insurance went up the next year by $100 but the year after it dropped down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm 

The Home Hunter wrote:
We have a whole home surge protector, and I've never had a problem with power surges before.

First, potentially destructive surges occur maybe once every seven years. Less often in your venue.

Second, surge damage is directly traceable to a human mistake. Since well proven protection from all surges (including lightning) has been well proven and demonstrated over 100 years ago.

Third, many electricians have no idea what a protector does. Many others assume a protector does protection. It never does. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. So a 'whole house' protector protects from all types of surges. While plug-in protectors may even make damage easier.

Did your electrician (installer) upgrade earth ground to both meet and exceed code requirements? For example, a hardwire from protector to single point earth ground (all four words have electrical significance) must be low impedance. That means less than 3 meters. No sharp bends. Separated from all other non-grounding wires. Not inside metallic conduit. No splices.

Any layman (or their teenage kid) can inspect this. Find a bare copper quarter inch wire that connects low impedance to earthing electrodes. If that wire goes up over a foundation and down to earth, then it has high impedance. Is too long. Has sharp bends over a foundation. It should have been rerouted through a foundation to earth.

Expression is single point ground. That means every incoming wire to Netgear, TV, dishwasher, etc must make a low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) connection to that one earthing electrode before entering. If any telephone, dish, TV cable, invisible dog fence, etc violates that rule, then surge protection is compromised.

Four, how did damage happen? A surge was all but invited inside to go hunting for earth destructively via appliances. We know that. Incoming to everything maybe on AC mains. What is a best outgoing path? Netgear, Tivo, and TV - especially if that TV/Internet cable is earthed to a different earth ground. Incoming on AC mains. Outgoing destructively via a TVs coax or HDMI port. Damage is often on the outgoing path.

A surge was also incoming to a dishwasher, washing machine, GFCIs, furnace, smoke detectors, dimmer switches, etc. But a better path to earth was via TV, Tivo, etc. So those damaged appliances protected others. Why? Protection is always defined by what makes a connection to earth - harmlessly via a protector or destructively via an appliance.

Start where mistakes are most often made. What is each connection to single point earth ground? Does every incoming wire connect low impedance to a same earthing electrode? Again, a protector is only as effective as the item that defines protection - a connection to and quality of earth ground.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

I understand most of those words.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

Um yaaaaa, what he said

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm 

Most informative spambot ever!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am 

The Home Hunter wrote:
After the storm today, my Netgear router, Tivo Box and one TV no longer work. Anyone else have that happen? We have a whole home surge protector, and I've never had a problem with power surges before. Cogeco is coming to replace the Tivo, but I'm out a router and TV...

Most likely it came across the cable line, that would be my guess. Lightening strikes can also affect the phone and cable lines coming into your home, so it would be best to have some form of surge suppression on those as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 pm 

RobB wrote:
Most likely it came across the cable line, that would be my guess.

A guess is also called wild speculation. If cable already has best protection where it enters a building, then how would that surge enter via cable?

Did you read any of four points?