HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 pm 

Need my roof re shingled. Anyone in this area want to suggest a company they used?

Also do people usually get multiple estimates or just go with one? (I guess if you know a good company no need for multiple estimates)

Also on my first floor i have a room that has no second floor and no attic access i plan to cut open the roof before roofer comes to take a peek and make sure its insulated enough, so im wondering when is roofing season? I want to do this sooner than later.

And final question bp, iko, different brand?

Last edited by 007 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:26 pm 

I've used Ollie's Roofing in the past. His crew does good work and he's a Milton born & raised guy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
I've used Ollie's Roofing in the past. His crew does good work and he's a Milton born & raised guy.

Thanks. Ill check him out.

I just dont wanna end up with a bad roof thats why Im looking on here.

Ive been reading alot of horror stories.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 am 

We used professionalroofers.com. They did my parents house as well. You can tell they’re good by their quality craftsmanship and the fact they actually tie off and work safely. Also never found a single nail in the grass or gardens.

Just watch out for the cheap Vietnamese companies and you’ll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am 

are you saying to use Vietnamese guys or the guys you used?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am 

Don’t worry Carl, 007 will know what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am 

Thanks Hodor. And funny enough I do know what you mean.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm 

I used the Vietnamese guys and happy with them. I did not care with nails here and there as I was prepared to pick them up after they are gone. They just did the work for the price they mentioned and it was lower than others and I know I cannot expect 100% from them. They did not do one pipe for water to flow on one side and they told me they will come in two days to do it and they did come and do it.

However I did not live in that house after the roof work was done as it was rented at that time and then it was sold, but have not heard any issues from my neighbors with whom I have contact with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:36 pm 

And that’s good for you. I hope your cheap roof keeps your corolla dry at night.

A roof shows it’s quality around year 10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm 

I am not planning on moving. I really like it here. So I dont want to chance a roof that will lead to problems. I know the viet crew is cheap and fast. However cheap and fast usually effect quality. A bad roof in many cases can cost you much more than you save. Ill be honest with many things i always compair bang for your buck. But i am never penny wise dollar stupid.

Im not saying I want to pay a million dollars and get suckered. I simply want to use a reputable company that I can find later if an issue arises and does things by the book. I dont want a $500 cheaper roof but no under lay or crap shingles or horrible install.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 am 

Last year while at a friends house in Milton, a roofing company was replacing shingles at a nearby home. They did not use any required eave protection, :shock: not even the cheap crap felt paper that is being used in most new built homes in Milton.

I guess the $60 in savings was too hard for this roofer to resist.

Oh well, I guess there are scummy contractors out there in every field :?

007, use an architectural type of shingle minimum 40 year life. Have good quality eave protection installed in vulnerable areas like valleys, around dormers, etc. Of course all the vents and plumbing stack flashings should be replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:55 am 

Who are the Vietnamese crew?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Who are the Vietnamese crew?

The signs you see with vietnamese writing. Their company names change frequently though, presumably to make it more difficult to seek warranty claims and to better hide from any safety police that might be out and about.

Best to go with a company that at least has had the same name for 5+ years, and has workers who do their jobs safely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 pm 

Thanks for all the tips guys. Ill keep you all posted on who I pick and how it goes.

I only started this as I consider the roof to be a serious job and wanted to make a wise choice and not regret my choice later. I plan to keep this house for a long time and dont want head aches.

If anyone else wants to suggest a good business especially if its milton based ill be watching. I plan to get quoted this week so I can get this done asap.

Currently doing alot of work to the house got a baby coming in august so i want to get any major work out of the way ahead of time so the house will be nice and peaceful when the little one arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:53 pm 

We used Done Right Roofing two years ago. They are local and did most of the roofs in our neighborhood. So far so good.