HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:17 pm 

Hey all -- so I'm pretty sick of hydro bills that are much higher than they ought to be ($350-400 in the summer for a 1650-square-foot end unit), and I'm hoping for some insight. Obviously one big factor was the AC unit slowly nearing its end for the last 3-4 years, and thus running constantly to desperately try to get the house temperature *near* what it was set at, so the only fix for that at this point is an AC replacement. But while I'm at it, I want my house to have lower heating and cooling bills because of other factors as well. I want to know what the best things to target are, so here's the list of my thoughts so far and I'm hoping the experts can weigh in?

1) The windows are single-pane and as old as the house. When I walk near then in the summer there's a zone of *hot* around them, and in the winter there's a zone of *frigid*. I'm thinking about either getting a window film added to the big ones on the first floor, or replacing those same big ones with a more energy-effective option. Would either one of those options be a good return on investment, bill- and comfort-wise?
2) I'm certain that the attic probably needs more insulation; is this an inexpensive prospect? We'd have to get a contractor to do it -- my husband can't for reasons I won't get into here, and I'm heavily pregnant right now so there's no way I'm doing it. Any suggestions for someone who could (if this is indeed worth the expense)?
3) I wouldn't even know how to check or assess this, but would the sealing/caulking/weatherstripping still be good 15 years later? If it is likely in need of redoing, what's the story there, price/effect - wise?

Any other suggestions for things that I don't know about (and I'm sure there are plenty) would be much appreciated. I don't have the expertise to know what will really give me the most bang for my buck, although I'd do everything if I won the lottery. For now I have to figure out how best to stretch a dollar.

Thank you very much in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm 

Adding insulation will probably cost $1200 to $1800 but of course get at least 2 quotes. Adding additional soffit vents should also be done. That is simply done by installing foam soffit baffles around the perimeter of the attic.

You probably have about R25 and the new standard would be minimum R50.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Adding insulation will probably cost $1200 to $1800 but of course get at least 2 quotes. Adding additional soffit vents should also be done. That is simply done by installing foam soffit baffles around the perimeter of the attic.

Okay, that's very good to know. In your opinion, is it a reasonable return on investment? $1200 or $1800 is nicely affordable, but what kind of impact does it make on the comfort and the hydro bill to go from R25 to R50 in the attic? Would this be the "do this first" recommendation over other improvements to the house? Are there some go-to recommended contractors in the area for this? (Sorry about all the questions; I'm in territory I've not been before and I definitely tend to be more comfortable with more knowledge).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:04 pm 

Meagan wrote:

Okay, that's very good to know. In your opinion, is it a reasonable return on investment? $1200 or $1800 is nicely affordable, but what kind of impact does it make on the comfort and the hydro bill to go from R25 to R50 in the attic? Would this be the "do this first" recommendation over other improvements to the house? Are there some go-to recommended contractors in the area for this? (Sorry about all the questions; I'm in territory I've not been before and I definitely tend to be more comfortable with more knowledge).

The return on investment will depend on how much insulation you actually have in your attic. At this time of year your attic will be extremely hot. If your attic is very short on insulation then your second floor ceiling will also be warm or even hot thus making it difficult for your AC to cool the home.

If your AC is as old as your home then I would spend the money on a new AC because it is inevitable that it will soon fail. After that consider the attic project. Or, if you have the money then do both. Sorry I have no insulation companies that I can refer.

BTW, if you are in Milton then for a fee I could inspect your attic and use an infra-red camera to see if insulation is missing or very short. If you are interested then phone me at 905 876 4761.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am 

If you have not applied yet do so
Free money

https://affordabilityfund.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:26 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Free money

Didn't Ford kill this???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:17 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:

I upgraded mine through gni.ca

It won't cost that much either, which will be good news for the OP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:04 am 

Greenjp wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Free money

Didn't Ford kill this???

Not unless you think the person doing the inspection is going to school you in deviant sexual behavior or cap and trade your home's pollution levels