HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 am 

Hi All,

Looking for guidance on repairing/replacing my 4 louvre exhaust vent (see pictures). The plastic hardened and it eventually broke off. I am unable to find an exact 4 louvre vent which I can replace with my existing vent without taking out the entire assembly.

The home is a Mattamy Village home located in Oakville.

Any recommendations including handyman contacts (since it's outside of the second floor) will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Attachments:
close-up2.jpg
close-up2.jpg [ 129.38 KiB | Viewed 1460 times ]
close-up.jpg
close-up.jpg [ 125.77 KiB | Viewed 1460 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm 

No worries, a bird will plug that for you in the spring. Forget about it.
Or, call a painter or roofer, it won’t be cheap, but it will be done.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 pm 

Just borrow a ladder and put one of those cage-thingys over it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:06 am 

No need for a cage or worry about birds. The 4 and 3 flap vents have integrated screens. It's the 5 flap vents that do not have a screen and one needs to be installed by the builder. This explains why this required screen is often missing from 5 flaps vents at new homes at kitchen and powder room vents.

But,,,,, flaps, aka backdraft dampers are also required so wind can not blow air into the home.

If it was my home I would get new flaps by buying new vents, removing the flaps, and reinstalling the new flaps in the old vent.

* Dryer vents must not have a screen. In the OP's case, the laundry dryer vent is above the balcony door.

PS - Stucco is a membrane over foam. It is fragile material. Unless to are careful you could easily damage the stucco with the ladder.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:42 pm 

Thanks everyone for responding. The flap is ~7.25" wide.

I don't have access to such a tall ladder. Do you recommend any handyman/contractor that will be willing to look at this?

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: ~7.25" wide
measurement.jpg
measurement.jpg [ 130.96 KiB | Viewed 1378 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm 

After some thought - and concluding that even the replacement flaps will also eventually deteriorate and break - my suggestion is that you install "anti gust hood covers". These covers are metal / aluminium so they will last and not rust. They can be installed directly over the existing vent. They also block wind getting into the vent duct and stop the flaps making noise in the wind. They also have a screen to prevent the entry of vermin into the cover.

Because you have a stucco wall and because the stucco is essentially styrofoam with a layer of finish over it, the screws used to install the cover will need to be about 3.5 inches long to get into some structure.

It looks like the model - VT0048 3-1/4" x 10" Anti-Gust Hood WHT - is your best option. Might as well do the powder room vent at the same time.

http://www.imperialgroup.ca/generalventing.cfm?c=227

Note - that these covers should not be installed over dryer exhaust vents.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:

We have one of these for our flippy-flappy kitchen exhaust vent too, it used to chatter and click in the wind, causing annoyance. Purchased from RONA 2011-ish, rock solid has not budged. I applied it right over the vent on the brick without removing or altering it, no loss of function at all. Measure your vent to be sure of what size you need to get over your vent, but I'm pretty sure this is the size we've got: https://www.rona.ca/en/3-1-4-x-10-white ... od-1224229