HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am 

Our pedestal sump pump is unreliable, so we are replacing it with a submersible.

Is this something that can be done easily by people with limited plumbing skills, or should we get a pro in to save us the headache?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm 

If you have a set of locking pliers (ViceGrips) and a large slot screwdriver it should be easy enough.

If the old pump has one of those flexible 1 1/4 " drain hoses with the clamp you might find the clamp ring has gotten rusty on you

If its a plastic coupling you might want a extra set of locking pliers to unscrew the coupling

What I've found with experience it the metal type adapters tend to rust and stick in place but you'll see

I prefer column pumps because the float rod goes straight up and down whilst some submersibles use a float at the end of a electrical cord and I've had times where that kind of float switch gets stuck against the walls of the sump pit
causing the pump to run on even after the water has drained.

Up and down float rods are much less likely to get stuck against the side walls of the pit

So I use column pumps as my main system and the submrsibles as a
emergency backup.In my case I've added a garden hose adapter to the submersible so I can just drop the submersible into the pit/cistern/etc and shove the garden hose out a window to do emergency draining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 pm 

True, there are submersible sump pumps with corded floats that can be tricky to install but there are lots of submersible pumps with floats that go up and down on a vertical rod attached to the pump.

Someone who is handy should be able to manage this task provided your sump is not one of those unfortunate pits that need to constantly pump water. just make sure you have everything you need before you start.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm 

cov-canuck wrote:
Our pedestal sump pump is unreliable, so we are replacing it with a submersible.

Is this something that can be done easily by people with limited plumbing skills, or should we get a pro in to save us the headache?

Coming off the high of successfully replacing the toilets, it was easily done. You don't need specialty skills or tools to do this and of course YT has several uploads, some of which are informative. The hardest part really was the plastic premade builder's pit was distorted eggshaped by just the tiniest amount in the poured floor, making it an absolute bastard to open and reclose the lid. Much thumping and pounding with a deadblow hammer was required, even had to lubricate it with veggie oil, hope that doesn't come back to haunt me somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 pm 

Thanks all...we've picked up one of the submersible pumps with the vertical floats. In 12 years I think the sump pump has gone off about 2 times (very dry basement), but the float of the pedestal got stuck, so we want to replace it so it doesn't burn the place down!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am 

You are one of the lucky ones...mine goes off regularly within 15 minutes when it starts to rain. When I looked at our lot plans, it looked like there was a small underground stream before development. Good news is that if there's an apocalypse, I've got a lot of groundwater easily accessible. hehe